By Wilson and Christine Goddard -

After a high wind cruise in weedy conditions, it was very clear that our heavy Danford type anchor was not able to reliably hold our MacGregor 25 sailboat from dragging. After doing an extensive product reviews and reading tests of anchors, it was clear it was worth trying the weed anchor design. General anchoring comments and tests were reviewed with some of the best being at Azuremarine and Practical Sailor.

Having a pretty good shop, we decided to look into building our own weed anchor. We came across, on the Duckworks Magazine website, a good article on two homemade weed anchors entitled Homemade Anchors for Weedy Bottoms.

We modified one of the Duckworks article's anchor designs slightly so that we could use what materials were in our supplies. Our final design used three 1/4" steel plate triangular flukes with a 14" base and an altitude of 7" which yields a 45 deg, 90 deg and 45 deg triangle. We had some 7/8" re-bar that we used for the shank.

The equilateral triangular anchor top was made from 1/4" plate, finished size 3" on a side and the trimmed top is shown below. One quarter inch pilot holes were drilled at the base of each notch section, which receives a fluke, and the center were the anchor shank passes through.

Following the article’s instructions, we found with the fluke size that we used, the base fluke point needed to be 4" in from the triangle corners on the craft paper.

The design calls for the flukes to be 17" apart forming an equilateral triangle. We laid out the 17" equilateral triangle on craft paper centered below a 3/4" pipe stand. The pipe stand was bushed to ½" pipe to accept our ½" pipe furniture clamps so that easy adjustments could be made. The center point of a 17" equilateral triangle is 913/16" from each corner.
The above jig allowed each fluke to be positioned properly and squared. Braces were made from 1" strap 7" long with 1" ends bent 30 degs. Each brace was held in position with clamps hen each piece was tack welded, then final welded, when all were in their true position. The final anchor is shown.


To comment on Duckworks articles, please visit our forum